Sunday, August 1, 2010

Celebrations

Friday night my friends threw me a surprise going away party! It was so sweet of them, and it was so nice to spend a few hours with people who are so dear to my heart. A few highlights included seeing people who I haven't seen in a long time, a huge sign that read "MA'A SALAMA" (which means "good bye" in Arabic), and Jamie making me the most adorable cake! It was a brown suitcase with New York, Seattle, Egypt, and Palestine travel stickers on it. I loved it! As a gift, they even organized a little travel fund for me! So thoughtful! I have some pretty awesome friends.

Yesterday I Skyped with Becky in Benin. I've used Skype for computer to computer calling before, but never computer to mobile calling. And it was fabulous! We talked for 5 minutes and it only cost $1.33! Rates very depending on what countries you're calling and whatnot, but I recommend that every single person reading this right now do the following:

1. Download Skype.
2. Search for me and add me as a contact.
3. Purchase Skype credit.
4. Call me frequently once I get my mobile number in the Middle East!

Getting to talk to Becky for 5 minutes was so good, and it just made me even more excited for what's ahead in my own journey! We couldn't talk for long because she was out celebrating Benin's Independence Day. I could hear the noise and excitement in the street behind her. After all, freedom from colonialism is something everyone should get excited about!

Unless divine intervention wills it, I won't be celebrating any independence days this year. Actually, I'll be living in the opposite of independence day everyday. But I will be celebrating! I will be celebrating the strength of a community of people with a vision and a strong identity. I will be celebrating vitality and vibrancy. I cannot wait to be there.

1 comment:

  1. I am excited to read your next post! Get on it! xoxo. Lauren

    ReplyDelete